Employee Relations Advisor, Colchester
- Job Reference
- Job Description
- Post Code
- CO4 9QB
- Job Copy
Established almost 40 years ago, Care UK is one of the largest providers of residential care for older people, with over 10,000 employees and over 120 homes across England and Scotland, delivering care to nearly 7,000 residents.
Our care homes provide a range of care services, from short-term respite care to nursing and specialist dementia care. We are committed to providing excellent care and have the highest quality ratings of the five biggest care home providers.
We are growing, with an ambitious new build programme, having opened over 40 homes since 2013. We continue to grow and are building between 6 and 10 homes a year, as well as continuing to invest in our older homes.
- To support Care UK operations (leaders and managers) through the provision of reactive, proactive and follow up Employee Relations (ER) advice.
- Identify trends and opportunities to improve Care UK policies, systems and processes and as a team in order to ensure that we make improvements and continuously develop.
- Based at our Head Office in Colchester
- We are building out a brand new team. Previous ER experience is a necessity
Provide ER Helpdesk telephone service to managers and leaders to advise on Employee Relations and other related HR policies and procedures.
- Provide detailed advice on specific ER issues to managers e.g. discipline, grievance, work capability, short term and long term absence
- Following on from telephone advice, provide checking service on letters and where necessary provide written advice for managers and leaders to use
- Follow up on ER issues to ensure that advice is being actioned and followed through to conclusion
- Keep records and notes to ensure that other helpdesk advisors can follow up
- Provide specific case management, where necessary including potential whistleblowing cases
- Seek support and advice from company lawyers as needed
Identify trends, learn from ER cases and pro-actively develop and update policies, procedures, templates and guides to ensure effective people management in line with Care UK direction and employment legislation.
- Keep up to date with current and future employment legislation, adapt where needed and communicate updates where needed
- Draft and implement new/rewrite existing policies, procedures, templates and guides
- Produce standard letter templates in line with updated/new policies and procedures
Dealing with grievance responses/liaise with line managers
- Keep up to date and accurate records of employment matters to ensure that the company case is as strong as possible
- Respond to any Subject Access Requests (SARS) or Employment Tribunal applications in line with strict deadlines
- Liaise with Employment Tribunal offices, ACAS, managers, employee representatives and solicitors about ongoing cases where appropriate and escalate high risk cases
- Provide regular reporting on trends, ongoing cases, company exposure, and strength of cases
Administration tasks and support
- Acknowledge appeals against disciplinary action and forward to the relevant manager
- Acknowledge complaints (verbal and written) received in the department and deal with/forward to the relevant manager
- General team administration (shared with other team members)
Ad-hoc project work as required
Care UK is committed to ensuring that it employs people with the right mix of talent, skills and potential and will assess every applicant fairly regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependents, age, physical/mental disability or offending background. Having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from working with us, it will depend on the nature of the role and background of any offence.