Health & Safety Project Manager
- Job Reference
- Job Description
- Post Code
- Job Copy
The H&S Project Manager will report into the Head of Facilities within the Property team of Residential Care Services. The role will support the delivery of building related projects, primarily relating to fire remedial, abatement and enhancement works but from time to time will include involvement in delivering other Health & Safety remedial work streams. The bulk of time would be spent in the field visiting any of our 150+ homes. This is a challenging and rewarding role, integral in providing a safe and secure environment for our residents and colleagues, making a difference to their quality of life.
To manage the scoping, instruction and delivery of planned and reactive fire and H&S related projects in care homes, day centres and assisted living environments across the UK:
- Proactively contribute towards the development of, implement and manage, Care UK’s Fire and H&S policies and procedures.
- Create, own and deliver high level fire safety programme, reporting and progress reports, presenting on a regular basis to the Property leadership team.
- Keep our clients (operational colleagues) risk assessment log (smartsheet) up to date on a weekly basis to manage CUK’s overall compliance and to manage expectations at home level.
- Using 3rd party provided Risk Assessments, scope remedial works required using specialist consultants on larger schemes, keeping home and regional managers updated on progress.
- Organise and manage site meetings, review and sense check remedial proposals, instruct works using CUKs CAFM system.
- Liaison with operational customers on scope of works and seek approval before contracts are let with the Head of Facilities.
- Manage and ensure contracts are in place covering T&Cs etc with contractors and consultants.
- Manage and ensure RAMS and Insurances are in place and followed/complied with throughout the works.
- Monitor works, agree variations, monitor and address quality issues, manage snagging, sign off works and manage interim and final account payment processes.
- Promptly report breaches and issues to contractors, Head of Facilities and consultants as applicable.
- Liaise with external consultants and third parties as necessary including Fire Officers, H&S Officers, Landlord agents, CQC, local authority officers etc.
- Where required ensure landlord consent, building regulation approval and planning permission is obtained at appropriate stages of work.
- Understand and ensure the implementation of the Company’s Health and Safety policy, Emergency & Fire Evacuation Procedure and Disaster Recovery Plan. Promote and monitor safe working practice.
- This list of key responsibilities is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as reasonably required.
Role complexity, autonomy and accountability
- This post has a high degree of complexity and the post holder will be expected to influence regularly at a home manager, regional manager, contracts management and supervisor level.
- The role will include regular management of suppliers and consultants on a daily and weekly basis and the principal planning would be expected to be undertaken on a weekly, monthly and quarterly frequency.
- It is expected that the post holder will have full autonomy for their actions on a day to day tactical level, but consultation will be required with the line manager in respect to decision making and strategic matters.
- The role can only be delivered through developing strong internal and external relationships with other key business units and stakeholders who are crucial to the successful fulfilment of this position.
- The role requires a level of professional interaction with others across the department, organisation and external third parties and will also be responsible for the guidance, management and development of others within the department.
The successful applicant
- Flexible working approach with a 'can do' attitude
- Appropriate and relevant qualification and/or experience.
- Experience of dealing with suppliers, contractors and consultants on a practical and day to day level.
- Experience of managing and dealing with operational managers and their teams of a multi-site portfolio.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal; confident dealing with people at all levels ranging from contractors on site to Exec level
- Good organisational skills
- Uses their own initiative and manages their own workload
- A completer/finisher, tenacious in their approach ensure al risks are covered, mitigated or closed in a timely manner
- Good at multi-tasking and juggling different work streams
- Understands the challenges of working in the care environment is desirable
Care UK is committed to ensuring that it employs people with the right mix of talent, skills and potential and will assess every applicant fairly regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependents, age, physical/mental disability or offending background. Having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from working with us, it will depend on the nature of the role and background of any offence.