Senior Communications Manager
- Job Reference
- Job Description
- Post Code
- CO4 9QB
- Job Copy
Senior Communication Manager
Hours: Full time
Location: Colchester (remote based candidates are also considered with weekly travel to Colchester)
Salary: Dependent on experience
Care UK has an exciting opening for a Senior Communications Manager to join our Marketing team.
As a key member of the marketing leadership team, the Senior Communications Manager is responsible for driving proactive and reactive corporate communications to build and protect Care UK’s reputation and deliver the strategic plan. This will involve managing agency resource to drive a programme of corporate communications and public affairs work, collaboration with the operational marketing team to drive continual improvement in local PR activity and management of key relationships with Care England and the Care Workers Charity. The role will also oversee the internal communications function and will work closely with the Marketing and Communications Director to manage reactive responses to issues of concern across the business.
- Providing leadership, management, coaching and development to a team of two; developing and driving Care UK’s communications strategy.
- Deliver a proactive communications programme which includes leadership profiling in trade, specialist and national media, identifying media opportunities and public affairs activity, writing and selling in news releases and articles.
- Identify upcoming reputational risks and develop mitigation plans, working with the Head of Brand Communications and Marketing and Communications Director.
- Lead and deliver responses to media enquiries, working with clinical, governance and operational colleagues to develop timely and accurate statement and responses whilst building and maintaining strong relationships with trade, specialist sector and national media contacts. Maintain accurate records of contact with and responses to journalists and stakeholders.
- Provide communications counsel and expertise to colleagues, including media training support as required.
- Ownership of the crisis communications process and protocols and support of operational colleagues.
- Responsible for the corporate awards programme, overseeing the Communications Coordinator in ensuring full management of entries, awards attendance, related logistics and subsequent external and internal communications and delivering to budget. Ability to author and direct awards entries.
- Develop and deliver correspondence to relatives, residents and colleagues as required.
- Chair a weekly news call supporting colleagues in identifying positive stories for internal comms, social channels and website.
- Support team development via informal mentoring, coaching and organisation of training sessions, as appropriate.
- Build and develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, notably the Executive Team, operational colleagues (Operations Directors, Regional Directors, Home Managers).
- Ensure robust communications processes are in place, including out-of-hours and on-call arrangements across the communications team.
- As requested, undertake other ad hoc activity as required.
Established 40 years ago, Care UK is one of the largest providers of residential care for older people, with over 12,000 employees and over 150 homes across the UK, delivering care to nearly 9,000 residents. Our care homes provide a range of care services, from short-term respite care to nursing and specialist dementia care.
We are committed to providing excellent care and have the highest quality ratings of the five biggest care home providers. Fulfilling lives is our core purpose and informs every aspect of our business. Caring, Passionate and Teamwork are the values that underpin everything we do.
We are growing, with an ambitious new build programme, having opened over 40 homes since 2013. We continue to grow and are building between 6 and 10 homes a year, as well as continuing to invest in our older homes.
Care UK is committed to ensuring that it employs people with the right mix of talent, skills and potential and will assess every applicant fairly regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependents, age, physical/mental disability or offending background. Having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from working with us, it will depend on the nature of the role and background of any offence.