- Job Reference
- Colinton, Edinburgh
- Job Description
- Post Code
- EH13 9PN
- Min Pay Rate
- Max Pay Rate
- Shifts Available
- Job Copy
The residents in our care home really relish meal times. Join us at our Kitchen Assistant and help make lots of older people very happy – all while developing your catering skills and enjoying some great benefits.
Care UK is one of the UK’s leading providers of health and social care services. We need a Kitchen Assistant to help our kitchen team produce lots of tasty and nutritious meals several times a day.
You’ll help to take the pressure off our chefs by playing a key role in cooking breakfast for residents. At main meals you’ll provide the finishing touches like custard or gravy and ensure everywhere and everything in the kitchen is clean and tidy. You’ll be stringent about storing and chilling food appropriately and about observing and maintaining food hygiene standards.
If you’re educated to GCSE level, have some experience of working in a busy kitchen environment, are proactive and positive, we’ll treat you to flexible hours, a competitive rate of pay and all the training and development opportunities you have an appetite for.
- Cook breakfast items as required for the residents, making custard, gravy from pack and regenerate cook chill items.
- To ensure that all kitchen equipment and kitchen areas are cleaned according to the cleaning schedules.
- To ensure statutory and Company Health and Safety Regulations are adhered to.
- To ensure correct storage of all dry and perishable cook chill goods as soon as possible after receipt and checking.
- To ensure the correct, safe storage of cleaning materials.
- To ensure that all pots, pans, cooking utensils and service counter containers are cleaned to the required standards and correctly stored after cleaning.
- Carry out any other reasonable instructions given by the Head Chef and/or Home Manager.
Skills & Experience
- Experience of working within a busy kitchen environment as part of a team
- The ability to manage priorities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and Maths
- Where you'll work
Our care home’s name, Scottish Gaelic for ‘friends and relatives’, sums up the welcome you’ll receive, as well as our approach to care.
Here at Cairdean House, in Colinton, south west Edinburgh, we offer the highest standards of nursing, residential and respite care for older people, including those who are living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Our 90-bedroom purpose-built care home opened in early 2013 and has already established a strong reputation for its expertise and ground-breaking approach.
Cairdean House is a care home with a difference. It has been innovatively designed by internationally renowned architect, Richard Pollock and sits in the beautiful village of Colinton in Edinburgh. Richard and his team created the design with every thought for the needs of older people, particularly those living with dementia, and the smallest of details are considered in their approach. Find out more about Cairdean House’s specialist design.
Care UK is committed to ensuring that it employs people with the right mix of talent, skills and potential and will assess every applicant fairly regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependents, age, physical/mental disability or offending background. Having a criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from working with us, it will depend on the nature of the role and background of any offence.